DJI Spark RC Hack BUSTED!!!!!!

A lot of people in forums are talking about this “hack”. WetalkUAV is going to prove if it is true or not!

Music:

FADED by Drak Stafford, Rock Anngel by Joakim Karud, Space Techonology Sci Fi by Tronicles

46 thoughts on “DJI Spark RC Hack BUSTED!!!!!!

• July 13, 2017 at 5:10 AM

The reason that this works is that DJI created this hard link so that you could link the Spark to the DJI Goggles. See adapter cable now for sale at DJI.

The DJI Goggle interface is the same as the Smartphone. So that is why this works.

The Wifi connection from the Controller to the Spark is very unreliable and not usable on an iPhone or iPad. This is country dependant so you cannot provide a definitive result testing from your country.

This is due to issues with the 5.8Ghz wifi implementation in the controller. 5.8Ghnz Wifi is a controlled spectrum and has different access availability in different countries like FCC and CE compliance.

You need to clear the default 5.8Ghz wifi back to 2.4Ghz on the controller if you want to use an IOS device with wifi. The Model / Controller frequency hops channels in the 5.8Ghz band to channels that are not available on that countries 5.8Ghz IOS device. So you get constant pauses in the controls.

Cheers

• July 13, 2017 at 2:41 PM

One issue that isn't covered here is competing signals. I live in a city and when I fly around here there are a lot of competing signals. WiFis, electrical, microwave and so on. I have found that the more dense the area with signals the more issues you can have with keeping connections while flying. So far I have found the USB connection to solve this issue. Please do a follow up video with these parameters. good job on the video.

• July 13, 2017 at 3:07 PM

Is there a difference, when using the cable, in battery consumption of the phone?
    Could be in airplane mode then.
    btw. any iPhone cable to recommend?

• July 14, 2017 at 6:17 AM

I think one big advantage of the cable is that the phone battery lasts longer since it is not using wifi and bc it is being charged by the RC.

• July 14, 2017 at 6:31 PM

When the Spark is connected to the controller via wifi you don't actually have to connect your device to the controller using wifi, you can just plug your OTG cable from the controller to your device (I use airplane mode) and boot up the DJI Go 4 app. Just sayin…

• July 15, 2017 at 3:32 PM

Hola el mejor video que he visto en Internet sobre spark y OTG felicidades por cierto tengo un problema con mi Spark yo también lo tengo conectado por OTG pero con OTG y sin OTG mi alcance máximo son 300 metros me hace vuelta a casa solo sabrías decirme a qué es debido gracias espero noticias tuyas

• July 16, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Yes it not as much for latency and connection. When i use my Android the signal dropped right from of me every 2 minutes. with the cable no issues. I like the growth of your page from the mavic prop cage to this…

• July 19, 2017 at 3:11 PM

So distance with phone wi-fi drone 100 meters controller 1.2 km that's not same bro not even close

• July 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Unless I missed it, was the wifi on the phone turned off before the cable was connected? My results were totally different with my iPhone 6 and the cable. My spark was pretty much un-flyable with the delay in the FPV on the iPhone. There is a specific order that the cable must be connected for it to work correctly.

• July 29, 2017 at 6:29 PM

You have to fly it in conditions where the phone controller connection has problems, like interference, being in a busy city, etc and try the difference.

• August 2, 2017 at 12:38 PM

This guys name is Assmuncher. ASSMUNCHER. I WANT THAT NAME

• August 7, 2017 at 3:50 AM

Cable latency is 160 ms; not 170 ms. WiFi latency is 270 ms. Based on numbers alone, the cable is 60% faster than WiFi.

• August 11, 2017 at 4:05 PM

My spark + controller using wifi is almost useless. Loosing signal and going home 50m+ away each time.

• August 15, 2017 at 11:25 AM

Finally, someone who speaks the truth. I agree that the cable connection is faster but the difference is unnoticable & negligible. The nerds will say otherwise

• August 15, 2017 at 7:56 PM

The difference with cable is that u have better range for flight video transmission

• August 17, 2017 at 4:40 PM

100 mS is an ETERNITY in high speed flying (drone racing) and is NOT insignificant. I will take ANY advantage I can obtain, even if to the uneducated it seems like it isn't worth while. Good luck living in whatever dream world you live in. Let me ask you this. If you were jumping across a chasm on a mountain, and the fall was 10,000 feet, and you missed the other side by 0.1 of a foot or meter .. you'd be just as dead.

• August 24, 2017 at 5:13 AM

Well, I still can see a good reason to use the cable connection instead of Wi-Fi: having more battery time available in my cellphone.
    Good video.

• August 28, 2017 at 11:28 PM

DJI improved the RC to iPhone wifi signal since the July 21 update. I tried it extensively in a trip to Oregon and had No dropouts! I did turned off Bluetooth on the phone. Smooth image no freezing of video on screen.

• September 5, 2017 at 2:36 AM

What a silly test – to check out problems with wifi, in perfect conditions far out in the country. Was there even ONE access point or other wifi-activity present in this area ? Of course you'll get the answer you was looking for – that you CAN get a reliable wifi-connection from RC to an Iphone.. But what people has encountered in crowded network areas and with other phones – you just ignore ? Why do you call it a hack, by the way ? A steady cable connection that's integrated in the RC and app (that is highly recommended by DJI for the other drones, just not mentioned in the spark manual)

• September 10, 2017 at 5:39 PM

It's terrible for me with wifi only. You should try it in an area with heavy interference.

• September 19, 2017 at 7:11 PM

OTG cable has nothing to do with the range of the drone. It's just a better connection between the remote and the phone. I hope they come out with a screen so that you won't have to use your phone all the time.

• September 20, 2017 at 10:02 AM

nope. meybe depends on exact spark. in my spark it is more stabil connection. i've lost view from wireless conection while i was flying a few times. it did't happend once while connected by cable. but as i say, it might depend on exact spark

• October 9, 2017 at 3:34 AM

All I know is that before I started using the OTG to lighting cable for my iPhone I was get a ton of drop out while flying but once I started using the cable the video dropouts stopped. So in my experience this cable made the spark usable a all ranges that I have used it.

• October 22, 2017 at 2:54 AM

when you did the otg test on distance did you use the 2.4 ghz o get more range out of the spark . Because that really works for me . I get up to 500m more out of the 2.4 ghz compared with the 5.8 ghz

• October 22, 2017 at 3:16 PM

Rubbish!!!!
    OTG cable makes the flying experience a lot better!!! These tests are completely irrelevant.

• October 28, 2017 at 11:48 AM

cool video – but one thing which makes me wonder the appropiate selection of a flying spot would be the huge Tower in the backgrund.
    On the left side of the audience`s viewpoint.

Wouldn`t such a big source of telecommunications waves/radiation mean possibly reduced flying distances?

I would not feel comfortable at all, if there was such a big tower with so many – seemingly antennas – being installed on it`s sides…

If you made sure, it is no cellular tower at all and it is using completely different frequencies, well then my point is invalid and I may be excused.

• November 3, 2017 at 5:00 PM

First of all, I would expect the latency to change as the distance increases. Second of all, 100 MS is a significant delay. Not like it is likely to make you crash, but if you move the sticks to the left you will notice the delay.

• November 7, 2017 at 7:37 PM

Hard wired is Also best when downloading files from spark to your phone. Got several failed downloads when downloading files wireless..

• November 12, 2017 at 3:41 PM

Poor test, proofing nothing. 🙁 Next time try to fly in the city and try to fly as far as possible with and without OTG cable. And try it in Europe where max flight distance is theoretically only 500m (without using another real "FCC hack").

• November 14, 2017 at 4:49 AM

I liked the video until he said busted really loud like a little wanker. Screw off and jerk off your grandmother.

• November 19, 2017 at 5:24 AM

Did my first clip with drone and music is same 😀 now randomly find your video, also flying with Spark 🙂

• November 25, 2017 at 11:36 PM

I get far less latency and interference when using the OTG. I’ve never considered it a hack but rather a bypass.

Considering you didn’t fly it a great distance (I.e. 1.2 miles) this test was not credible. When distance increases between the radios, more power is required to send and receive and as a result, along with distance, greater latency. Try a true long range test and post another video using both methods again.

• January 2, 2018 at 7:51 PM

Yes the results did work till they made the new firmware update which is now a 50-50 chance with IOS and android to work or not. Its a issue that DJI does know of and as they stated will be working on it but that is all smoke and mirrors with them as they are partnering up with Apple from what they have mentioned in other locations. So it looks that downgrading the firmware can still help with this hack but not 100%