DJI MAVIC 2 PRO HLG DLOG USELESS?!

We were about to do a video stating that HLG and DLOG color profiles were useless on the new DJI Mavic Pro 2, but as we were testing to proof it, something happened. What do you think?

Song: SKANDR – Happy Ending (Vlog No Copyright Music)
Music promoted by Vlog No Copyright Music.

Alex

35 thoughts on “DJI MAVIC 2 PRO HLG DLOG USELESS?!

• September 24, 2018 at 11:44 PM

It seems that what you are saying is … if you are capturing video in excellent lighting and don't need to worry about dynamic range or low lighting, you would be better off in NORMAL mode and using H.264. If dynamic range or low lighting exist, and you want to get the best results, go with one of the two modes using H.265 which get 10-bit color.

• September 25, 2018 at 1:56 PM

Just use standard colour guys, it has the HNCS from Hasselblad so it’s already good colour. Maybe change settings for lower contrast to have a bit higher dynamic range or shoot in times that’s already not too contrasty

• September 25, 2018 at 3:40 PM

Jeeezz… that was some mic snafu… you should've reshoot this, it sounds very unprofessional

• September 26, 2018 at 8:45 PM

How are you recording D-LOG in h.264? I'm not able to select it or HLG when in h.264. Could that be discussed? Many of us, i'm sure, struggle with that problem.

• September 27, 2018 at 7:25 AM

Thanks, i found the same to be true on the Gh5…the 8bit 4k60 natural signal is just better than internal VLOG 4k60 8bit (mainly bec. 8bit). Good to know its the same on the drone!

• September 27, 2018 at 5:45 PM

This was a smart move for the DJI to create a drone that offers us 10 bit colour versus 60P you can’t have both with the limitation on data throughput on the SD card. Yes. H265 codec with DLOG which is 10 bit colour offers billions of colours. It’s not for the normal guy, unless you know how to push colour properly. But HLG allows you to take that card or file in the M2P and pop it into a HLG compliant 4K HDR TV and see properly profiled HDR Video.
    So In summation I would rather own a Drone with a 10bit workflow such as the M2P versus an 8bit drone like the P4P with its 60p.

• September 28, 2018 at 1:35 PM

The skipping of corrections applied by the drone in more computationally intensive modes is a good point and useful to know. However, to do an image quality comparison without maximising the information that can be obtained ie by not using the best codec at the highest available data rate is totally micky mouse. For your workflow etc great if you cannot be bothered with pro res proxies being rendered to work with but for a comparison of image quality it disadvantages the log footage that is attempting to hold more dynamic range. Log is a no brainer where 10 bit is available. I would only selectively use it on p4p however as banding issues with 8 bit are troublesome. Please give us best iq available when comparing iq for various modes!! Thanks

• September 28, 2018 at 3:21 PM

Your pc can’t play h265? 😒 seriously? My 4 year old pc plays it fine. Are you a total moron ?

• October 4, 2018 at 5:40 AM

you've mentioned a guide to read in the description but I can't find the guide link that explains about learning!

• October 8, 2018 at 1:36 AM

I’m reading a lot of comments that I feel are missing the sentiment here. My take away from this video is that if you’re on a tight deadline and you’re not doing anything extreme with the color grade that “Normal” isn’t total garbage and can be used with confidence.

• October 16, 2018 at 2:15 PM

I have to say I have been waiting for review like this. And I totally agree. I found out that the graded footage from Mavic Pro or Air or pro2 and footage from spark has best color/contrast and color separation – EVERY time when compared to other DJI Mavic . Air, and Mavic Pro 2 footage graded.

• November 12, 2018 at 1:43 AM

You are on point my man. I been testing a lot with the Mavic 2 Pro. At the end of the day, shooting in Normal profile is the way to go. I spend a lot of time color grading Dlog and at the end of it you only get close to what Normal profile gives. If there is a difference, I cannot spot it and if there is, it's very minimal and not worth the extra work. I record in Normal and just tweak it a bit in post and the footage is Amazing!!

• November 29, 2018 at 9:39 AM

Thank you for this great content. This is what I personaly expect from your channel, give us the most accurate information as possible. Cheers from Brazil.

• January 12, 2019 at 8:02 PM

All you guys had to do is look at the product description on the website to find out which video settings recorded in 10-bit. You might lose a few followers here, but its a valiant effort to try and rectify your mistake.

• January 21, 2019 at 3:56 PM

Thanks for the great information. I just received my zoom & pro 2. Have they done any firmware updates to correct this issue? I see this was done 4 months ago. Thanks

• January 24, 2019 at 12:58 AM

I'm a complete newbie to this. And you said exactly what I was saying about post production. I was so proud of myself lol🤣🤣 It's like some people just have to make things difficult. I could see no difference in mavic pro 2 dlog post produced content when compared to 8 bit with just basic drone added highlights. With no s curves. Don't get me wrong, color grading looks fun to me(seriously..) but I still will not do it for every project. Thanks for your work on this.

• March 22, 2019 at 11:48 AM

The Only Benefit from Dlog Is the Dynamic Range and you only benefit if you know how to Expose These Gamma Profiles correctly. So at These comparison you dont have much Dynamic range
    PS: sorry for my Bad english

• April 29, 2019 at 3:06 AM

Good to notice that. But maybe you should record more contrasty scenes? Only there the potential of LOG/HLG will be revealed and the difference will be more noticeable

• June 5, 2019 at 2:40 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. As an "older" person getting reacquainted with all things digital, you have provided information that is soooooo helpful. After watching dozens of videos to "help" me understand and execute brilliant D-Log footage, I was frustrated when my highly upgraded iMac couldn't handle the footage. I created a proxy clip…and that worked, but, WTF? So, for now I will shoot normal with manual settings and work my own fucking magic. Thank you! And yes, as others have said, your labels may need to be fixed if you are interested in reposting. Or maybe you can just put that in your description.

• June 15, 2019 at 4:40 PM

Brother you are absolutely correct! Last week somehow my settings got changed on my mavick to pro and I wasn't shooting in D log the color profile was none and my videos looked so much better and more colorful I love it!

• July 21, 2019 at 8:21 PM

Videos like this are the reason why I've been so turned off to YouTube lately. This gentleman clearly says several misleading and straight inaccurate statements yet he's got 50K subs on his channel and 20K views on this very misleading video which lacks a QA check (mic section, wrong facts, etc.). Making videos for the public eye are tough because you must have your ducks in a row and get the facts straight although you could be slightly forgiven if you mess something up by correcting it in a pinned comment or something similar. I'm not roasting the guy and I'm certainly not trolling, just ventilating a bit. Here's to the small and honest channels out there!

• July 22, 2019 at 11:34 AM

You should test HDR encoding with scenes and lights that actually need them. Not evenly lit midday shots with three colors on the scene. This video is an exact illustration of “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing” as for many viewers you just said DJI are idiots, and for a few others you exposed your ignorance 😉

• August 16, 2019 at 3:01 PM

I can't shoot DLOG and HLG in H.264! Is there a workaround?

• September 25, 2019 at 10:48 AM

You are just a child in film industry. You even don't know what is a log footage is. For more you don't know the deference between 8bit ( 16 M ) & 10 bit ( 1B ) Colors.
    Log Provide industries Best Quality Footage & its only available on High End Cameras.

• September 26, 2019 at 7:04 AM

Help me. I recorded video .mp4 4K 30 frs, H265, D-Log mode, can not import 4K video file to Adobe Premier cc 2018, have to convert to 1080p. i want to use original 4K video, can fix this? Thanks all